When we all were reveling in the joy of year 2019 getting over and looking forward for beginning of a new decade from 2020. Little did we know, year 2020 will bring upon us humongous amount of drama and suspense. Little did we know, year 2020 will indeed entail new beginning of every aspect of our lives.
Personally, I categorize Year-2020 as the year of global discussions… not one race.. not one country ..but as mankind…. The issues and challenges faced by all of us need systematic and long-term solutions. Age of short-term solutions and patchwork are over. Before we start discussing on what we learnt from year 2020.
Lets take a look the event line of year 2020 (summarized in infographic). The infographic summarizes the key events in each of the month. I can see, every month had a life-altering event.
Who would have thought?
- Travel and Tourism will come to absolute halt
- World will not be going to office for a long time
- Schools will be running on the devices, which they earlier detested
- Birthday Parties and Weddings will not be happening in traditional format of fun and frolic
- Developing and Growing economies will suddenly witness never seen before GDP declines
- Funerals can be attended over Zoom calls
…. Many more….
So, what were the good and bad outcomes which came out of 2020. Lets put that in the following table.
|Higher recovery rates observed in many people and helping in development of immunity for the virus||1.6 Million people died due to Coronavirus with more than 75 Million cases.|
|People have become conscious about fitness, health, hygiene, and sanitation||Trillions of dollars in economic damages|
|Rapid move towards digital technologies and resources for studies and work. Could not have imagined celebrating birthdays and anniversaries over a Zoom call.||High unemployment rates observed in developed economies. Service based industries especially tourism and hospitality were severely affected.|
|Seismic change in thinking of people on “Life Prioritization”||Seismic Stock Market movements.|
|“Work-from-Home” or “Remote working” can be effective and productive.||Helplessness observed during lockdowns|
|Focus on mental health||Scarcity of food and medicines for the poor|
|Increased attention of corporations on “Personal-Professional” life||Mental health issues in working professionals due to blurred lines between “Home” and “Work”|
|Re-instantiating that you do not need a lot for being happy||Economic, Physical and Health uncertainties|
|Moving towards ‘Self-sustenance’ and supporting local markets||Many people could not travel for holidays or to meet ailing parents and relatives|
|Lockdowns made us understand, how important family is.||Many people had to bid good bye over a Zoom Call|
|Importance of a health professional|
In the end, I do hope:
- With global co-operation, advancements in vaccines and social attention, I really hope we see material improvements in everyone’s life in 2021.
- Hopefully, it puts back kids in school for their studies
- Hopefully, People travel to distant places for holidays and enjoyment.
- Hopefully, the attention to hygiene and sanitization instigate further long-term solutions amongst sovereigns
- Hopefully, Corporations can optimize their resources by using “Remote-Work” efficiently and effectively
- Hopefully, People can get and meet their loved ones.
- Hopefully, the Brides and Grooms can celebrate their love for each other amongst their friends and family.
- Hopefully, Mental health keeps getting equal attention as Physical health
- Hopefully, ‘Self-sustenance’ may define the next decade.
With this, I wish you all a very happy new year.
Welcome to 2021.